Your PC will keep operating, of course. Microsoft isn’t literally pulling the plug on your devices. But Windows 7 won’t receive any more updates or security patches, meaning your PC will also be very vulnerable to all those nasty malware programs garnering headlines seemingly every day. If you keep using Windows 7 — and over a quarter of all computers run it, per NetMarketShare
— you’re on your own, and the Internet can get nasty.
We can help you stay as safe as possible, though.
How to survive with Windows 7 (at least for a little while longer...)
If you do decide to stick with Windows 7 after Jan. 14, you'll need to take some precautions:
- Update everything in the January 2020 Microsoft Patch Tuesday release. It'll be your last chance to make sure Windows and other Microsoft software are as secure as possible.
- Uninstall the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser. It's a huge security hole. Download Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox instead.
- Ditch Microsoft Office and any of its components, such as Word, Excel or Outlook. Switch to Google's office suite or to LibreOffice. For an email client to replace Outlook, try Gmail or Thunderbird.
- Turn off Java in your browsers.
- Turn off Adobe Flash Player in your browsers.
- Install one of the best antivirus programs
. Microsoft will stop developing its own antivirus software for Windows 7, Microsoft Security Essentials, so you'll need something else. The bottom line is:
Upgrade to Windows 10 ASAP and get a decent antivirus software regardless.
Saving $20-$40 per year on a decent antivirus program will cost you dearly if you get infected with nasty malware that will risk your privacy and valuable data.
Your old Windows 7 PC will be like a sitting duck for every hacker under the sun (or looming in the darkness), without a proper antivirus program.
Award-winning antivirus. Trusted by 10 million users around the world.
✔ Unbeatable in terms of Value-For-Money
✔ Multi-level virus protection and outstanding detection rate
✔ Includes VPN, Firewall and many other security enhancements
✔ Save 80% on the newest 2021 Edition via our link!
Norton is one of the most well-known brands in the competitive antivirus business - and with good reason...
✔ Protect your PC, Mac or mobile device
✔ Won the 'Best Protection Award' from AV-TEST
✔ Virus Protection Promise (Money Back Guarantee)
✔ Best Parental Control features
Avira Antivirus is a German company with more than 30 years of experience, so quality is guaranteed
✔ First class malware protection
✔ Effortlessly detects all known ransomware threats
✔ Capable of repairing damaged files
✔ Lightweight updates don't impact system speeds